Thursday, March 5, 2009

Stories from AFS exchange students around the world.

"Wow I never knew how three months could go so fast, but here i am again writing to you about how my exchange is going in Denmark. Over the last few months i have noticed a real change in myself as i feel i am now fully emerged into my exchange. My life in Denmark just seems normal. The people, language, and atmosphere all seem natural to me now. I have also found myself becoming a lot more independent, balanced and confident in doing and trying different things. an exchange i think definitely pushes you to limits where it brings out qualities you never thought you had, which is a really good thing."
Chloe McKenzie in Denmark


"At the moment i am living for the weekends here. I have fortunately already been able to see lots of Quebec. I have stayed at a lake which was so much fun because i got to try water skiing and i got to enjoy the last sun of summer. I have also been to Quebec City which is so beautiful! It is really European and you can just feel the french culture in the air. I also went up north about 8 hours, the scenery was so beautiful. The autumn colours are so magnificent! All the trees are either coloured with red, yellow or orange leaves! In general the landscape here is very flat, which is different for me as in New Zealand i live on steep hill country. I find it funny when people call hills mountains. I'm always like "that's not a mountain that is only a hill"."
Rosalie Hodgson in Canada.


"The most important thing i have learnt was learning to love this place, with all my heart, the same way i love my country. To love every bit of it, from the wonderful and amazingly helpful, loving and caring family i got, to the incredible friends I've made, from my cozy house in the city centre to my enormous school on the Shore, from its beautiful beaches to its awe-inspiring pics. New Zealand is now my home and its going to be so hard, so hard, leaving it."
Camila in New Zealand.



"At this moment i have settled in perfectly and feel as though i have become a Tico (Costa Rican). Now I'm rather sad that I have to leave within 3 months, so I am trying to make the most of these last few months. I have been having the greatest year of my life here. I'm in love with the culture, food, people, school and almost everything! Things just seem to get better and better as you learn the language. There is absolutely nothing i would want to change from this exchange so far."
Regan Mathieson in Costa Rica.